A Guide to Planning a Rustic Wedding in Maryland
Complete the form to INSTANTLY view our prices & packages.
"*" indicates required fields
Rustic weddings have become increasingly popular in recent years and for good reason. The charm and warmth of a rustic theme can make any wedding feel intimate and cozy and add a touch of natural beauty to the celebration. In Maryland, plenty of venues and locations lend themselves to the rustic theme, from barns and farms to wineries and outdoor spaces. So whether you’re a local or planning a destination wedding, Maryland offers something for couples looking for a rustic and romantic setting. In this post, we’ll provide a comprehensive guide to planning a rustic wedding in Maryland, from choosing the perfect venue to dressing the part.
One reason for their popularity is that they offer a departure from traditional and formal wedding themes. Instead, a rustic wedding can be more relaxed, allowing couples to focus on celebrating their love in a comfortable and casual environment. It also allows them to be creative with decor and incorporate personal touches representing their unique style and personality.
Rustic weddings also offer a connection to nature that many other wedding themes do not. Couples can create a truly unique and memorable event by incorporating natural elements into the decor and choosing a venue that showcases the beauty of the outdoors. In addition, this connection to nature can create a sense of calm and relaxation for the couple and their guests, making it a perfect choice for those seeking a peaceful and tranquil setting.
Overall, rustic weddings are unique in their ability to create an ambiance of warmth and intimacy, a connection to nature, and a celebration of individuality.
Choosing the Maryland Venue for Your Rustic Wedding
Choosing the perfect venue is one of the most important decisions when planning a rustic wedding in Maryland. Here are some types of venues that work well for a rustic wedding theme:
- Barns and Farms: Maryland has many beautiful barns and farms offering rustic charm and natural beauty. These venues often feature rolling hills, barns, and gardens, providing a perfect setting for a rustic wedding.
- Wineries: Maryland has a thriving wine industry, and many wineries offer stunning views and natural beauty that can make for a beautiful rustic wedding. The vineyards and picturesque landscapes provide a natural backdrop for wedding photos.
- Parks and Gardens: Maryland also has many state parks and gardens that provide a natural and rustic wedding setting. These locations often feature natural landscapes, waterfalls, and gardens, making them perfect for a rustic wedding theme.
Some specific venues that fit the rustic theme in Maryland include:
- Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery: Located in Frederick, Maryland, Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery offers breathtaking views of the mountains and rolling hills. The venue features a historic stone barn, vineyards, and gardens, perfect for a rustic wedding.
- Smokey Hollow Farm: This historic farm in Pennsylvania is just a short drive from Maryland and offers a charming rustic setting for weddings. The property features a restored barn, rolling hills, and a pond, providing a serene and peaceful setting for a wedding.
- Antrim 1844: Located in Taneytown, Maryland, Antrim 1844 is a historic mansion offering a luxurious yet rustic wedding setting. The property features beautiful gardens, a courtyard, and a barn, making it perfect for couples seeking a romantic and rustic wedding.
When selecting a venue for a rustic wedding in Maryland, it’s essential to consider the size, location, and amenities. Ensure the venue can accommodate the number of guests you plan to invite and offers the necessary amenities such as restrooms, parking, and catering facilities. Also, consider the location in terms of accessibility for guests and vendors and the availability of lodging options for out-of-town guests. Finally, visit the venue in person to understand the atmosphere and ensure it fits your vision for a rustic wedding.
Setting the Scene for Your Rustic Maryland Wedding
Setting the scene for a rustic wedding in Maryland involves creating a warm, inviting atmosphere that captures the charm of the natural surroundings. Here are some elements that can help you create a rustic atmosphere:
- Decor: Rustic decor often incorporates natural elements such as wood, burlap, and greenery. Consider using wooden signs, mason jars, and vintage props to create a cozy and charming ambiance. To add to the rustic theme, you can also use floral arrangements featuring wildflowers, twigs, and greenery.
- Lighting: Lighting is a crucial element in creating a rustic atmosphere. Consider using string lights or lanterns to create a warm and romantic ambiance. You can also use candles or soft lighting to create an intimate and cozy atmosphere.
- Music: When selecting music for a rustic wedding, consider using acoustic or folk music to capture the rustic vibe. You can also use live music to create a lively and festive atmosphere.
When choosing rustic decorations that fit the venue and theme, it’s essential to consider the setting and the overall mood you want to create. Here are some tips for choosing the right decorations:
- Use natural elements: Incorporate natural elements such as wood, burlap, and greenery to create a rustic feel. Consider decorating the venue with wooden tables or chairs, burlap table runners, and greenery garlands.
- Embrace the surroundings: Use the surroundings to inspire your decor. For example, if you’re getting married at a winery, consider decorating wine barrels or incorporating grapevine into your centerpieces.
- Choose a color scheme: A rustic wedding can feature a range of color schemes, from soft and muted tones to bold and vibrant hues. Consider using earthy tones like browns, greens, and oranges to create a natural and rustic feel.
To create a cozy and welcoming atmosphere, consider using candles, blankets, and other cozy elements. Here are some tips:
- Use candles: Candles are a great way to create a warm, intimate atmosphere. Consider using candles in mason jars or lanterns to create a rustic feel.
- Provide blankets: If your wedding is outside or in a barn, consider providing blankets for guests. This will help create a cozy and comfortable atmosphere.
- Create a lounge area: Create a lounge area with comfortable seating and soft lighting to allow guests to relax and socialize. To create a cozy and inviting space, you can use vintage furniture, rugs, and throw pillows.
Overall, creating a rustic atmosphere for your Maryland wedding involves incorporating natural elements, using warm lighting, and creating a cozy and welcoming atmosphere. Using these tips, you can create a beautiful and memorable rustic wedding that captures the charm of the natural surroundings.
Dressing the Part
When it comes to dressing the part for a rustic wedding in Maryland, the attire should reflect the natural and laid-back atmosphere of the venue. Here are some types of dresses, suits, and accessories that work well for a rustic wedding:
- Bridal dresses: Bridal dresses that work well for a rustic wedding in Maryland include those made from lace or chiffon and dresses that feature floral details or soft, flowy skirts. Consider comfortable dresses, yet still elegant and romantic.
- Groom suits: For the groom and groomsmen, natural fabrics such as linen or cotton work well for a rustic wedding. You can also consider more casual options, such as a vest, pants, suspenders, and a bowtie.
- Accessories that work well for a rustic wedding include cowboy boots, floral headbands, and vintage jewelry. You can also consider incorporating natural elements such as wood, twine, or feathers into your accessories.
When looking for rustic-inspired attire, consider local shops or boutiques specializing in vintage or bohemian-inspired clothing. You can also find rustic-inspired attire online, on sites like Etsy, which offer handmade or unique pieces.
When dressing the bridal party and groomsmen to match the rustic theme, here are some tips to consider:
- Coordinate colors: Choose colors that complement the natural setting, such as earthy tones like browns, greens, and blues. Consider matching the bridesmaids’ dresses with the groomsmen’s suits for a cohesive look.
- Embrace the casual vibe: Remember that a rustic wedding is generally more casual than a traditional wedding, so consider less formal attire for the bridal party and groomsmen.
- Incorporate natural elements: Consider incorporating natural elements such as flowers, greenery, or wood into the bridal party’s attire. For example, you can use a wooden boutonniere or a floral crown from wildflowers.
Overall, dressing for a rustic wedding in Maryland involves choosing comfortable yet still elegant and romantic attire. Using these tips, you can create a cohesive look for the bridal party and groomsmen that matches the rustic atmosphere of the venue.
Food and Drink for a Maryland Rustic Wedding
When planning a rustic wedding in Maryland, the food and drink should reflect the natural and laid-back atmosphere of the venue. Here are some types of food and drink that work well for a rustic wedding:
- Farm-to-table cuisine: Farm-to-table cuisine emphasizes locally-sourced, seasonal ingredients often used in rustic cuisine. This can include fresh vegetables, locally raised meats, and homemade bread.
- Barbecue: Barbecue is a classic rustic food that works well for a wedding. Consider serving pulled pork, brisket, or grilled chicken on the menu.
- Buffet or family-style: Buffet or family-style dinners are an excellent option for a rustic wedding. This allows guests to choose from various dishes and creates a more relaxed and communal atmosphere.
Consider local companies specializing in farm-to-table or BBQ cuisine when looking for caterers or menus that work well for a rustic theme. Here are some suggestions:
- The Classic Catering People: The Classic Catering People in Baltimore offer farm-to-table cuisine and can customize menus to fit a rustic theme. They also offer a variety of food stations and buffet options.
- Rouge Fine Catering: Rouge Fine Catering in Hunt Valley offers BBQ-inspired menus perfect for a rustic wedding. They use locally-sourced ingredients and can customize menus to fit specific dietary needs.
- Black Hog BBQ: Black Hog BBQ in Frederick offers a variety of BBQ options, from pulled pork to smoked brisket. They also offer a range of sides and desserts that fit a rustic theme.
When incorporating local cuisine and drinks into the wedding, consider using ingredients that are in season and locally sourced. Here are some tips:
- Use local produce: Consider using locally-sourced produce in salads, sides, and desserts. This can include berries, corn, and apples, all abundant in Maryland.
- Serve local wine or beer: Maryland has many wineries and breweries, so consider serving local wine or beer at the wedding. This supports local businesses and provides a unique and memorable experience for guests.
- Incorporate Old Bay: Old Bay seasoning is a staple in Maryland cuisine and can be used to season various dishes, from seafood to chicken. Consider incorporating Old Bay into the menu or offering Old Bay-flavored snacks or favors.
When planning the food and drink for a rustic wedding in Maryland, consider using locally-sourced ingredients, serving farm-to-table or BBQ-inspired cuisine, and incorporating local wine or beer. Using these tips, you can create a delicious and memorable menu that fits the rustic theme of the wedding.
Entertainment is an important aspect of any wedding. However, for a rustic wedding in Maryland, it’s important to choose entertainment that fits the natural and laid-back atmosphere of the venue. Here are some types of entertainment that work well for a rustic wedding:
- Live music: Live music is a great way to create a festive and lively atmosphere. Consider using acoustic or folk musicians to match the rustic theme. You can also consider incorporating a bluegrass band or a country singer for a truly rustic experience.
- DJs: If you prefer a DJ over live music, consider using a DJ specializing in folk or country music. They can create a playlist that matches the rustic vibe and gets guests on the dance floor.
- Lawn games: Lawn games are a fun and interactive way to entertain guests during the wedding. Consider using games such as cornhole, horseshoes, or giant Jenga.
- Photo booths: Photo booths are a great way to create lasting memories and entertain guests. Use a rustic-inspired backdrop, props, or frames to match the theme.
Consider using lawn games or photo booths when creating a fun and memorable atmosphere for a rustic wedding. Here are some tips:
- Use natural elements: Incorporate natural elements such as wooden signs or vintage props to create a rustic feel.
- Provide instructions or rules for any games or activities to ensure guests understand how to play.
- Personalize the photo booth: Consider using a rustic-inspired backdrop or props that match the theme. You can also provide personalized frames or photo strips for guests to take home.
Overall, creating entertainment for a rustic wedding in Maryland involves choosing live music or a DJ that fits the rustic vibe, incorporating lawn games or photo booths, and using natural elements to create a fun and memorable atmosphere. By using these tips, you can create a wedding that is not only beautiful and romantic but also fun and interactive for guests.
Maryland Wedding Planning and Logistics
Planning a rustic wedding in Maryland involves careful attention to detail and coordinating multiple vendors and logistics. Here are some tips for planning a successful rustic wedding:
- Start planning early: Planning a rustic wedding can take time, especially if you’re booking popular venues or vendors. Start planning at least a year to ensure you have plenty of time to coordinate all the details.
- Create a budget: Determine your budget early on in the planning process, and allocate funds to each aspect of the wedding. Be sure to include a contingency fund for unexpected expenses.
- Coordinate with vendors: When selecting vendors, consider those that specialize in rustic weddings and are familiar with the venue. Communicate your vision and expectations clearly to ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Handle logistics: Consider transportation and accommodations for guests, especially if the venue is remote. Provide clear directions and consider arranging transportation for guests if necessary.
- Plan for unexpected issues: Have a backup plan to prepare for unexpected issues, such as inclement weather. Consider renting tents or other coverings in case of rain, and communicate the plan with all vendors and guests.
When handling logistics for a rustic wedding in Maryland, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Transportation: Consider arranging transportation for guests if the venue is remote. Provide clear directions and consider hiring a shuttle service if necessary.
- Accommodations: Provide guests with information on nearby hotels or accommodations. Consider reserving a block of rooms for guests, and provide transportation to and from the venue if necessary.
- Venue requirements: Be sure to check with the venue regarding any requirements or restrictions, such as noise ordinances or catering restrictions.
- Parking: Consider the parking situation at the venue, and arrange for additional parking if necessary. Provide guests with clear instructions on where to park and consider hiring attendants to direct traffic.
In the event of unexpected issues or weather conditions, here are some tips to handle the situation:
- Communicate with vendors: Communicate any changes or backup plans with all vendors to ensure a smooth transition.
- Keep guests informed: Provide updated information on any changes or backup plans to ensure they are aware of the situation.
- Have a backup plan: Consider renting tents or other coverings in case of rain or inclement weather. Be sure to communicate the plan with all vendors and guests.
Overall, planning a successful rustic wedding in Maryland involves careful attention to detail and coordinating multiple vendors and logistics. By following these tips, you can create a beautiful and memorable wedding that captures the natural charm of the venue.